Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Freedom


From the Jacket: From the National Book Award-winning author of "The Corrections" comes a darkly comedic novel about family. Franzen's intensely realized characters struggle to learn how to live in an ever-confusing world--one with the temptations and burdens of liberty, the thrills of teenage lust, the shaken compromises of middle age, the wages of suburban sprawl, and the heavy weight of empire.

My Thoughts: So this is a recent Oprah book club selection, and Oprah and I just cannot be in the same book club. I have very rarely enjoyed Oprah's selections and this one was no different. This book had the 3 D's going for it: Dark, Depressing, and it Drug on forever. It had me at first I really was interested in the characters but the further I read the more interest I lost and finally around page 250 I gave up. I am typically the kind of person who sticks with a book even if I am struggling through it. I am trying to give myself permission to give up on books and read things only if I am really enjoying them. There are just far to many good books out there to waste my times on ones I don't like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...